The next major version of Cameyo is making great progress. Since it brings so many big changes, it is not expected for general availability before a few more months. Still, there will be an early Beta offered for volunteers who have a Cameyo account.
We’ll send out a newsletter when the Beta program opens. Here’s a brief description of the new version’s features:
- FAST! The Cameyo package file format is being redesigned with performance in mind. The “ZIP” format will be replaced with a proprietary, optimized file format which improves the virtualization engine’s retrieval of virtual files, and also fast editing of virtual pacakges. The virtual registry pre-extraction will no longer occur either, making virtual packages launch even faster upon first run.
- Two virtualization modes:
- RAM mode: virtual apps will be running directly from memory, without being pre-extracted to disk.
- Disk mode: just like today, virtual application files will be first extracted to disk and then used. This usage scenario is still the most optimized for frequently-used apps (or apps used over the network).
- Virtual registry keys will no longer be pre-extracted (except on Windows XP).
- Program’s files will be stored in a different location than data (changed) files.
- The above will make Cameyo apps more terminal server friendly.
- Auto-update feature will be released.
- Password / certificate protection for protecting against editing of virtual apps that you create.
- Hopefully, some additional things too. But can’t commit on these just yet…
Still not sure whether the version will be named “2.5” or “3.0”, but one thing’s for sure: this new version will bring big improvements.
Stay tuned. Subscribe to the newsletter.