Regardless of the size of your organization, you’re likely being asked to accomplish two (seemingly clashing) goals:
- Enable all of your people to be productive from anywhere and on any device
- Reduce the overall cost of your IT operations
When thinking about traditional virtual desktops infrastructure (VDI) or Desktop as a Service (DaaS) solutions, enabling goal #1 with those legacy solutions is often diametrically opposed to accomplishing goal #2. Which is where Cameyo’s cloud-first Virtual App Delivery (VAD) platform comes in, and why we’re excited to introduce our new Cameyo for Linux service to enable organizations to make their digital workspaces even more efficient and cost-effective.
While Cameyo’s existing VAD platform enables the delivery of all Windows, SaaS, and internal web apps to any device – Cameyo for Linux extends that capability to Linux applications as well as internal web apps that don’t require a Windows server. This dramatically reduces the cost of delivering Cloud Desktops by eliminating the need for costly Microsoft Remote Desktop Services Client Access Licenses (RDS CALs) while providing organizations with the flexibility they need to use their preferred solutions.
“Many organizations today use a combination of SaaS-enabled productivity apps and then utilize Virtual App Delivery solutions like Cameyo for all of their business-critical apps that are not fully web-enabled,” said Gabe Knuth, Senior Analyst at Enterprise Strategy Group (ESG). “But there are also a lot of organizations where the only apps holding them back from accessing everything from any device are their Linux databases & apps. With the addition of Cameyo for Linux, organizations can now deliver all of their apps – SaaS, Windows, internal web apps, and Linux – to any device with Cameyo.”
Making Cloud Desktops More Efficient and Cost-Effective
“Here at Sanmina we’re always looking for ways to make our operations more secure, efficient, and cost-effective. This is what originally brought us to Cameyo, and we’ve used Cameyo for several years to give our employees secure access to all of their apps on Chromebooks,” said Mario Zúñiga, IT Director, Digital Workplace at Sanmina. “Now with Cameyo for Linux, we’re able to deliver several of our internal web apps on Linux servers instead of Windows servers. Because of the efficiency of Linux, Cameyo for Linux will allow us to serve more users per server. This also eliminates the need for RDS CALs, which dramatically reduces the cost of our digital workspace initiatives while giving us more flexibility.”
Cameyo has long been used by organizations of all sizes as a more secure, simple, flexible and cost-effective alternative to legacy virtual desktop infrastructure (VDI) and Desktop as a Service (DaaS) products. The introduction of Cameyo for Linux further helps organizations:
- Streamline Infrastructure – Linux servers have less overhead than Windows servers. For any organization utilizing apps & databases that don’t require a Windows server, Cameyo for Linux provides a more efficient solution. And with Cameyo’s fully-hosted option, organizations can deliver their apps on Linux servers without the need to actively manage the supporting infrastructure themselves.
- Reduce Costs – Cameyo for Linux helps reduce the cost of digital workspaces in two ways:
- Microsoft Licensing Costs – Previously, organizations that had internal web apps needed to run those on Windows servers, which required Microsoft licenses and RDS CALs, dramatically increasing the cost of delivering those apps. Cameyo for Linux enables organizations to deliver all of their apps that don’t require a Windows server via Linux, eliminating the cost of Microsoft licenses.
- Windows Server Costs – The hourly rate of Linux servers is 50% less than that of Windows servers, so beyond the up front licensing cost savings, Cameyo for Linux provides ongoing cost reductions for Cloud Desktops.
- Deliver a Seamless User Experience for All Apps – Cameyo’s support of all applications – Windows, SaaS, internal web apps, and now Linux – provides a completely seamless Cloud Desktop experience for the end user. Cameyo for Linux enables IT admins to easily publish Linux apps as Progressive Web Apps (PWAs) just as they can with Windows apps. Regardless of the type of application or which type of server it’s running on, users simply access and use their apps as they normally would, with nothing new to learn.
- Future Proofing – Cameyo has always helped organizations deliver their legacy applications to any device via the browser or PWAs, helping bring their legacy apps into the future. With Cameyo for Linux, Cameyo also helps ensure that all future apps – including web apps that don’t require a Windows server – can also be efficiently and cost-effectively delivered to any device from the same platform.
Even Greater Protection Against Vendor Lock-In
Cameyo is the only virtualization solution that enables organizations to deliver all of their apps – including Windows apps – without delivering the full Windows desktop. This provides organizations of all sizes with a Windows OS-independent Cloud Desktop, which gives them the freedom to adopt any device, OS, and cloud they want without fear of being locked into the Microsoft environment. Cameyo also recently received its second issued patent for its Temporary User Profiles technology, which make it easier for enterprises to move to the cloud by eliminating the on-premises components that make legacy virtualization solutions so costly and complex – including Active Directory, roaming users profiles, network drive mapping, VPNs, and more.
Cameyo for Linux is the latest Cameyo innovation focused on providing organizations with the freedom and flexibility they need to provide their people with secure productivity from anywhere and any device without being locked into one vendor’s ecosystem.
“Every organization is working hard to ensure their people have access to all of the critical tools they need to do their jobs from anywhere. But especially in this economic climate, most organizations are trying to balance that anytime, anywhere access with the need to reduce costs,” said Eyal Dotan, Founder and CTO of Cameyo. “With the addition of Linux support, Cameyo is enabling organizations to give their people a seamless, secure experience for all of their apps – both past, present, and future – from a single platform.”
Cameyo for Linux is available today worldwide. To see how much delivering apps via Cameyo for Linux can save your organization compared to traditional virtual desktops and Windows servers, schedule a demo here.