And Almost 5 years ago now, Cameyo was founded on the premise that every organization should have the freedom to use any devices and OS they prefer, while still being able to give their people access to the Windows apps (and all apps) they need to be productive. Sounds reasonable, right? And yet, as organizations increasingly adopt operating systems like ChromeOS (for security, cost, simplicity, and environmental benefits) or adopt BYOD policies, they all face the same problem. And that’s the fact that all the traditional virtual desktop infrastructure (VDI) and Desktop as a Service (DaaS) providers force them to deliver a Windows OS-based virtual desktop to their devices in order to access Windows apps.
Imagine making the strategic decision to migrate to move to the more secure and cost-effective ChromeOS, only to be told that on those ChromeOS devices, you’d still have to deliver the Windows OS (virtually) if you wanted people to have access to their business-critical Windows apps. Yeah, we didn’t think it made sense, either. Which is one of the reasons why we developed Cameyo as the Windows OS-independent option for organizations that want to deliver Windows apps (and all apps) to any device without being locked into Windows-based virtual desktops.
And now we’re proud to announce that we’ve received our second patent, which protects the technology that enables this Windows independence – Cameyo’s Temporary User Profiles technology. Cameyo Temporary User Profiles make it easier for enterprises to move to the cloud by eliminating the on-premises components that make legacy virtualization solutions so costly and complex – including Active Directory, roaming users profiles, network drive mapping, VPNs, and more.
Eliminating Roaming User Profile Bloat and Vendor Lock-in
For organizations that are looking to migrate to the cloud, roaming user profile bloat is holding them back. Active Directory and roaming user profiles are not a fit for the cloud – they are complex, and negatively impact the user experience. Virtualization solutions that rely on roaming user profiles fall into the trap of constantly trying to sync modern technology with the past instead of clearing the path for cloud-native technologies by eliminating the dependence on Active Directory and on-premise components.
With legacy VDI and DaaS solutions, everything the user has ever done is pulled into each session. This causes user profiles to swell to dozens if not hundreds of gigabytes in size, resulting in significant performance issues for the end user. Cameyo’s Temporary User Profiles technology eliminates this user profile bloat associated with Active Directory, enabling Cameyo to deliver a seamless, secure Cloud Desktop experience for end users. And while the patent is newly issued, Cameyo’s Temporary User Profiles are already being used by hundreds of Cameyo customers globally, including Fortune 500 organizations.
The Cameyo Temporary User Profiles patent is strategic for our customers for three key reasons:
- Protecting Our Customers Against Vendor Lock-In. Cameyo’s Temporary User Profiles are what give it the unique capability to operate without dependency on Microsoft’s Active Directory and the bloated roaming profiles that come with it.
- Protecting Our Customers’ Ability to Reduce Costs Without Sacrificing Scalability. Cameyo Temporary User Profiles enable administrators to set up elastic server environments without having to worry about mapping user profiles to a particular server. From an elasticity perspective, this is as flexible as it gets, and enables the highest levels of cost reduction.
- Protecting Our Customers’ Networks, Data, and Users. Cameyo Temporary User Profiles are also unique in terms of data privacy and security, enabling Cameyo’s practice of wiping every session as soon as it’s over. This ensures that there are no traces of private data left on Cameyo servers after a session, while also ensuring the protection of customers’ networks since Cameyo does not sync any malware or Windows-related issues.
So How Do Cameyo’s Temporary User Profiles Work?
Here’s an outline of how Cameyo’s Temporary User Profiles technology works, and the functionality that is protected by this latest patent:
- Cameyo creates Temporary User Profiles that are not tied to Active Directory.
- When a user is ready to start a session, Cameyo generates an ultra-secure, one-time password.
- Cameyo then allows the user to connect with a Temporary User Profile.
- To make sure each temporary session is familiar to the user and where they left off, Cameyo brings back the data from a user’s previous session with its unique Session Sync technology.
- For example – a hybrid worker who splits time between home and the office can access all of their apps from anywhere, and their data from previous sessions always follows them so that they can continue to work when they log back in.
- Whenever they log off, Cameyo wipes that session, but sync the user’s session data with Session Sync.
- When the user logs back on, Cameyo could be serving them from a totally different server with a brand new, temporary Windows user profile just for that session – while still preserving their data from one session to the next.
Looking for an Alternative to Citrix & VMware?
As legacy VDI and DaaS providers like Citrix and VMware are acquired and their customers look for cloud-native alternatives, this patent puts Cameyo in a unique position to become the new standard for enterprise virtualization. And we already have dozens and dozens of customers who have made the switch from Citrix or VMware to Cameyo, for example:
- Retail Chain Ur&Penn Replaces Citrix with Cameyo to Enable Access to Legacy Apps on Chromebooks
- Klarahill Reduces Remote Desktop Costs by 85% with Cameyo
- Fortune 500 Sanmina Selects Cameyo’s Virtual App Delivery to Ease Chrome Enterprise Adoption
If you’d like to learn more about why organizations have already made the switch from legacy Windows OS-based VDI and DaaS solutions to Cameyo, we’d love to discuss, share more examples, and show you how it works. You can schedule a demo with one of our Cloud Desktop experts here. Or if you’d rather just take it for a test drive yourself, you can get started with a free trial and be up and running in minutes here.